Building Services


A Building Licence is required for all proposed new building works and includes single and grouped dwellings, commercial structures as well as minor projects such as outbuildings, carports, pergolas, alterations, additions, retaining walls, swimming pools, etc.

If you are unsure if you will need a Building Licence, please do not hesitate to contact the Building Department on (08)9920 5011 and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Please be aware that it is illegal to change a building's category from a Class 10 (Shed) to a Class 1 (Dwelling) without prior Shire approval as required by Regulation 22 of the Building Regulations 1989.

Building Fees & Charges

There is a minimum fee of $171.65 on all Building Permit applications, consisting of $110.00 application fee and a $61.65 Building Services Levy.

Additional fees are payable when the estimated value of the proposed building works exceeds $20,000.00.

Fees and charges for all applications are payable upon submission of the application.

If you are required to pay the Construction Training Fund (CTF) Levy this is to be paid via the CTF portal here

Building Permit Applications

The Council is responsible for ensuring all buildings and associated structures erected within the Shire of Chapman Valley are built in accordance with the Building Regulations 2012 and the Building Code of Australia. In this regard a building permit is required to be obtained from the Shire prior to the commencement of any building work. This includes the construction of dwelling or outbuilding (shed) or even small scale development such as a garden shed, patio, pergola gazebo, retaining wall, or swimming pool (refer to section below).

In lodging an application for a building permit the following is required to be submitted to the Shire:

  •     Completion of a Building Permit Application Form signed by the builder and landowner; 
  •     A copy of the Certificate of Title to verify ownership of the property;
  •     Three (3) complete sets of the building plans drawn to scale  and of a professional quality consisting of:
    • A site plan;
    • A floor plan;
    • Elevations;
    • A cross-section;
    • Structural details/information;
    • Engineering certification (if applicable).
  •     Two (2) complete sets of standard specifications (if applicable); 
  •     Payment of the respective building fees and levies.

A building permit application form and building permit checklist can be downloaded by clicking on the links below, however should you seek further information please contact the Shire's Building Surveyor by phoning (08) 99205011 or emailing

Owner Builders

The Shire of Chapman Valley is located within an area under the jurisdiction of the WA Building Commission. In accordance with the Building Act 2011, a person may apply to the Building Commission for an "Owner Builders" approval for the purpose of constructing their own house, addition or outbuilding (including sheds over $20,000 in value) subject to certain conditions being met including the lodgment of an application for an "Owner Builder" approval, and restrictions on the resale of the property may apply.

Further information on being an "Owner Builder" may be down loaded from the Building Commission website or by contacting the Shire's Administration on 9920 5011 or emailing

Swimming Pools & Spas

The Council's Building Section is also responsible for the regulation of swimming pools and ensuring the minimum safety requirements and methods of achieving compliance pursuant to the Building Regulations 2012, and the relevant Australian Standards.

A building permit is required for a swimming pool.

In installing a swimming pool or an outdoor spa the regulations require that a compliant isolation barrier be provided in the interest of safety for young children. The following is a summary of the minimum requirements for a security enclosure:

  • Fences and gates are to be free of any hand or foot holds and have a clear height of at least 1200 mm;
  • Pool gates are not permitted to swing toward the pool or spa;
  • Pool gates must self close and self latch in all circumstances; min latch height 1500mm
  • All new pools must have complete isolation fencing between dwelling and pool.

Flyer for owners and occupiers of properties with swimming pools - click here

For further information on swimming pools please contact the Shire's Administration on 9920 5011 or via email

Dividing Fences

A dividing fence is essentially a fence that separates two land holdings owned by different parties which is usually aligned along a common property boundary, but does not include a retaining wall.

The Shire is not responsible for the approval of a dividing fence or any issues raised between adjoining landowners regarding the type or cost involved in erecting a fence as matters relating to dividing fences are covered by the Dividing Fences Act 1961, administered by the Department of Local Government and Regional Development.

BA1 Certified Building Application

BA2 Uncertified Building Application

BA5 Demolition Application

BA7 Notice of Completion

BA13 Application for Building Approval Certificate

BA22 Extension Application

Class 10 to Class 1 Conversion Checklist

Dwelling Checklist

Shed Checklist

Retaining Wall

Septic Application

Swimming Pool Statutory Declaration